Gnocchi is a type of Italian pasta, made of cooked mashed potatoes, flour and eggs. Some people like to add cheese to the recipe. Potato gnocchi is one of the most common types of gnocchi. It is one of the easiest recipes to make and is eaten in Italy and in many houses across the US. Here’s how to make the most mouthwatering potato gnocchi at home.
Making Potato Gnocchi at Home
To make potato gnocchi at home, you will need just three ingredients: cooked potato, flour and egg. The following are some tips on how to select the best ingredients.
- Potatoes: Make sure to use the right potatoes, which are that have a high starch content. The best varieties are Idaho or baking potatoes.
- Flour: Use some good all-purpose flour to bind the potato mixture together and create the dough.
- Egg: The egg serves as a binding agent for the dough and creates a better consistency.
Follow these steps to make the best home-made gnocchi.
- Cook the potatoes by boiling or baking them. Be careful to let steam out of the mash so that your dough does not get soggy.
- Press the cooked potatoes through a potato ricer so that they get a smooth consistency. You can spread out the mash so that most of the moisture is let out.
- Put the cooled mashed potatoes into a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Add the flour to this mixture and create a dough. The dough should hold together, yet be dry to the touch.
- Cut the dough into quarters. Then roll each quarter into ‘snakes’ or pillows using the palms of your hands.
- Now cut the snakes or pillows into 3/4 inch pieces. Roll each piece against the back of a fork to create ridges.
- Boil the gnocchi until they rise and float. Then remove them with a spoon and let it drain before serving.
How to Serve Gnocchi
Gnocchi is best served with tomato sauce, basil pesto, parsley or cilantro, sage and brown butter, cheese and garlic with cream, a ground beef or Italian sausage meat sauce, roasted vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini or cherry tomatoes or mixed greens topped off with cherry tomatoes and a vinaigrette dressing. You can get as creative as you want. It also depends on what your family would like combined with their serving.
Just follow the above steps to make the perfect gnocchi at home. You can even freeze gnocchi for up to 3 months by shaping them, spreading them out, freezing them on a baking tray and then moving them to a freezer bag before putting it in the freezer. Write the date and type of gnocchi on the bag. When you want to use them, just add the gnocchi to boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes until they rise to the top. Do not thaw them before cooking because they might turn mushy. Drain and serve with your desired toppings.
When you can’t bear the thought of washing another dish, head on over to Nico Ristorante, where you’ll receive stellar service, incredible cocktails, and gnocchi that just might beat your homemade recipe.